Sunday, June 7, 2009

Maggie's Birthday

Today is Maggie's fourth birthday. It is hard to believe that she could possibly be that old. It was only yesterday.......blah, blah, blah. But the truth is, it was only yesterday.

It was a Tuesday morning. Rebekah was running a fever and was in labor. She was miserable. Not only was she sick, but when her spinal block wore off, she had no epidural. Somehow they missed the spot in her back and she was feeling everything.

Leah and I had been assigned to be her assistants during the pushing and the birth. Poor Josh was in a chair in the corner looking like he wanted to run, but knew better.

Leah and I were a strange pair to be helping in the birth of a baby. Leah was five months pregnant with her first child. Despite the fact that I had two babies, I had never seen a baby born naturally (or any other way-I got knocked out for C-sections). I even faint at the sight of blood, mine or anyone else's. Not a good place for me to be. However, Rebekah invited me to witness the miracle of childbirth and Lord willing, I intended to be there.

Poor Bekah. She pushed for three hours. Leah and I hung with her until it was time for Maggie to be born. Josh joined us stationed at Rebekah's head for the event. It was amazing. We were in the presence of God. Time stood still and no one said a word. It was like nothing I had ever seen. It almost seemed like I was experiencing it in third person. I never felt faint or sick.

Someone who had witnessed childbirth shared this suggestion with me just days before Maggie's birth. "When that baby first comes out, touch it. The last person to touch that baby was God." Humbling.

So, Happy Birthday Maggie Moo! Grandma loves you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home