Sunday, August 9, 2009

Buckets and Bushels of Cucumbers

This has been the week of the cucumber! Monday morning we picked cucumbers and came home with two, two gallons buckets. My first thought was "Wow, that is a lot of cucumbers. I bet we won't get any more this week." Boy, was I wrong! Our friends, Lydia and Steve, picked cucumbers on Wednesday and they got several in their buckets.






I took our cucumbers and made 14 pints of bread and butter pickles. I hope that they taste good. I can't open them for six weeks according to the recipe.


Friday afternoon, Jerry and I decided that we would just go check on the garden to see what, if anything, was ready to pick. Just out of curiosity, we checked the cucumber vines. There were several, so I went and got a bucket, and Jerry grabbed another bucket, and on and on ....... We picked two bushels of cucumbers. Can you believe that? I bet, in all this week, the garden yielded at least three bushels of fresh cucumbers.

What to do with all those cucumbers? Share, of course! We took a bushel to the Auburntown Church and a bushel to Stones River Church along with lots of grocery bags. I hope everyone who left with a bag full of cucumbers will enjoy them or even make their own pickles!




Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home