Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Julie and Julia

Last night twenty five of the ladies from Stones River Church and their friends went to see the new movie "Julie & Julia" with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. We met in the lobby for a little chatting and catching up and then hit the refreshment counter for the $1.00 popcorn and coke. Have you priced the popcorn lately at the movies? The large box was $7.75! For popcorn! Orville Redenbacher is spinning in his grave. A family of four would pay about $75.00 to get into the movie and buy refreshments, can you believe it? No wonder we don't go to the movies very often. We planted a 150' row on popcorn in our garden this year. If we sold it at the same rate as the movie theater does, we could probably have a great retirement fund.

I helped myself to two boxes of $1.00 popcorn because they were about as big as a pint bag. There wasn't much popcorn in the bags for the popcorn lover.

I really enjoyed the movie. I love cookbooks and watching cooking shows. I have never cooked anything out of Julia Child's book because I don't own one. I am more of a Martha Stewart, Paula Deen fan. I learned to make a pie crust from Martha. If you follow her instructions, which include real butter, very cold, it will turn out just right. I have trouble with the rolling it out part. I am never satisfied with my results as far as looks go. It tastes fine, but it looks raggy at best.

I love Paula Deen's recipes. They are usually practical and I have most of the ingredients on hand already. She, too, uses lots of butter. Julia Child did too. Makes you wonder. Did Martha Stewart and Paula Deen get their love of butter and cooking from Julia Child? Who knows.

I recommend seeing the movie. I like the big screen but watching it at home when it gets to video would be fine, too. My popcorn, that was supposed to be buttered, was not up to par. I couldn't even taste the butter. Maybe the refreshment counter should follow Julia's lead on the butter. I bet they would sell a whole lot more popcorn.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home